Last updated: April 20, 2021
When you use our website, you are trusting us with your information. We work hard to protect the privacy of donors, volunteers, supporters, and any visitor of this website.
The World Literacy Foundation is a registered non-profit organization working to enhance the literacy skills of children living in disadvantaged areas in Africa, Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, and South America.
We strive to ensure that every young individual regardless of geographic location has the opportunity to acquire literacy skills to reach their full potential, succeed at school and beyond.
More information: https://worldliteracyfoundation.org/about-us/
- Account means a unique account created for you to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Organization (referred to as either “the Organization”, “We”, “Us” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to the World Literacy Foundation
- Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer, mobile device, or any other device by a website, containing the details of your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Device means any device that can access our Service such as a computer, a cellphone, or a digital tablet.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to the World Literacy Foundation Website.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Organization. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Organization to facilitate the Service, to provide the Service on behalf of the Company, to perform services related to the Service, or to assist the organization in analyzing how the Service is used.
- Third-party Social Media Service refers to any website or any social network website through which a user can log in or create an account to use the Service.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers to World Literacy Foundation, accessible from https://worldliteracyfoundation.org/
- You means the individual accessing or using the Service, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
The World Literacy Foundation collects some personal information from people who use our Service by making a donation, subscribing to our newsletter, applying to participate in any of our programs, or visiting any of our pages.
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Usage Data
The security of your Personal Data is important to the World Literacy Foundation, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
Use of Your Personal Data
The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including monitoring the usage of our Service.
- To manage Your Account: To manage your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data you provide can give you access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to you as a registered user.
- To contact You: To contact you by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication regarding updates or informative communications related to our programs or your donation, including the security updates.
- To provide You with news, and general information about the Organization, our literacy programs, and events unless you have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage your requests: To attend and manage your requests to us.
- For other purposes: We may use Your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, and to evaluate and improve our Service and your experience.
We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: We may share your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service, to contact You.
- For business transfers: We may share or transfer Your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of organization assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of the World Literacy Foundation to another company.
- With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services, or promotions.
- With other users: when You share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside. If You interact with other users or register through a Third-Party Social Media Service, your contacts on the Third-Party Social Media Service may see your name, profile, pictures, and description of your activity. Similarly, other users will be able to view descriptions of your activity, communicate with you and view your profile.
- With your consent: We may disclose your personal information for any other purpose with your consent.
Retention of Your Personal Data
The Organization will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Your information, including Personal Data, is processed at the Organization’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those from your jurisdiction.
Disclosure of your Personal Data
Under certain circumstances, the Organization may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
Other legal requirements
The Organization may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply witha legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of the Organization
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoingin connection with the service
- Protect the personal safety of users of this website or the public
- Protect against legal liability
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13.
If You are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
If we need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your information and your country requires consent from a parent
Links to Other Websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party sites or services.
We’re the World Literacy Foundation https://worldliteracyfoundation.org/ We envision a world in which every one of us can read and write, in which there is free access to education for all. The World Literacy Foundation is global a non-profit organization striving to ensure that every child regardless of geographic location has the opportunity to acquire literacy skills and books to reach their full potential – succeeding at school and beyond.Thanks to You, We Did It! In 2019-20, our programs and services impacted 116K+ children, parents, and communities in the locations where we operate through book distributions, reading sessions, literacy mentoring, solar-powered tablets, and more. We also reached a global audience via digital channels with our message about the importance of literacy and reading in our daily lives.
Why Literacy? At the World Literacy Foundation, we believe in literacy as the foundation of lifelong learning and education. People who cannot read or write experience difficulties with simple everyday tasks such as reading the label of a medicine bottle, filling in a job application or understanding a traffic sign. When we help someone to acquire literacy skills, we are empowering them to access to better opportunities in life to break the poverty cycle.
Literacy Beyond Reading and Writing Literacy is defined as the ability to read, write, speak, and listen, which to communicate effectively with one another (Department of Education and Training, n.d). However, in this generation, literacy goes beyond reading, comprehension, and writing skills. Literacy is an essential ability to participate actively and meaningfully in society. On a global scale, UNESCO (2019) indicates that 773 million