The World Literacy Foundation is a global not-for-profit organization working to lift young people out of poverty through the power of literacy.
We believe that every child should be able to read and write, so they can enjoy lifelong learning and empowerment.
We are committed to building strong partnerships, providing assistance to grassroots literacy organizations and maximizing our impact through innovative solutions, that bring quality education materials to classrooms across the world. Read more.
– People complete or functional illiterate face the prospect of poor health outcomes, welfare dependency, gender inequality and a lack of social cohesion.
– Studies have shown the mother´s literacy level is closely related to child health and survival.
– Literacy significantly enhances a person’s ability to access, understand and apply information about health to make accurate decisions.
– Girls are still more likely than boys to never attend to school, and their incomes are 60-75% of men’s salaries.
– Literacy promotes gender equality as a fundamental condition for the full enjoyment of human rights, provide better skills for work and socio-economic participation by women and men.